Brooklyn pitbull puppy survives swallowing a toilet brush
Petey is not your average five month-old pitbull puppy. While most of these little darlings enjoy nibbling their owners' fingers and chewing on pig ears, Petey seemed to have developed a different taste for toys. Rawhide? No. That aforementioned pig ear? No. Sorry. A two-foot section of soft rope with big-assed knots at both ends? Not even close. A 15 inch-long toilet brush, swallowed whole? Absolutely. Why not?
On Christmas Day, Petey’s owner, Charesse W. (the W standing for "why you gotta' eat that toilet brush?") left Petey in her Brooklyn apartment for a few hours so she could spend some time with her family. When she returned Petey seemed fine, but over the next few days that changed. Poor little guy. Within a very short time he could not eat or drink, and a very worried Charesse rushed Petey to the ASPCA Animal Hospital to find out what was wrong.
What the attending veterinarian found in the X-ray was not be believed. Somehow Petey had managed to swallow Charesses’ toilet brush. And we are talking an old school toilet brush here, not one of those mincing refillable Clorox Toilet Wands. (photo of one post-puppy toilet brush being held by two animal heroes courtesy of the ASPCA blog)
How the hell did that fit into a five month-old puppy?
Petey had swallowed the brush handle-first. The brush portion had lodged itself in his esophagus, and the handle had stretched his stomach to an unbelievable length. In order to remove it, the surgery team decided to make an incision in his stomach and extract the brush handle-first; trying to pull the smelly thing back out would have caused quite a bit of esophageal damage. Happily and in true pitbull fashion, little Petey recovered quickly and made a point to express his gratitude and share his kisses with everyone at the clinic. And in true ASPCA fashion, the organization contributed enough funding to Charesse to cover Petey’s tab.
What is the crappiest thing your dog has ever eaten, Poopreporters?